The Technical Animator position helps establish a connection between the animation team and the more technical aspects of a VFX pipeline. You will be working on enabling new workflows, help design new pipeline based tools and help troubleshoot issues for the Animation Department. This role is expected to handle production support and also Maya based development tasks in a fast-paced, feature film visual effects production environment. The primary focus is ensuring the pipeline and artist tools are enabling Animators to focus on the artistry. While reporting to the Head of Animation, this role will collaborate with Department TDs, Animation Supervisors and Leads to ensure animators are able to delivery projects in a timely manner.
- Provide front-line production support to Animators, troubleshoot assets and shots and help artists with general problem-solving via the prevalent ticketing system.
- Further the Animation tool set by integrating new commercial and/or inhouse artist software tools to meet immediate, show-directed production demands and ensuring facility-wide consistency.
- Work on debugging, troubleshooting and extending cross department pipeline tools like asset loaders, publishers, QC rendering.
- Maintain and evolve the SpinVFX Animation pipeline tool set composed of Python, PySide/PyQT UIs, Maya’s C++ and scripted plugins.
- Collaborate with fellow Department TDs to understand and contribute to smooth functioning of Animation tools with upstream and downstream data workflows.
- Test and validate tools and techniques with Animation stakeholders and release new and modified software systems as per the department standards.
- Document necessary updates to Animation tools and workflows in tickets and artist facing documentation.
- Strong understanding of animation principles and the animation workflows.
- Basic knowledge of rigging workflows and techniques.
- 3+ years experience as a Pipeline Developer with Autodesk Maya software.
- Good experience with Python, PySide/PyQt, GIT.
- Experience with Maya APIs.
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining tools for use in a VFX pipeline.
- Good grasp of Animation/VFX pipeline workflows especially of the Model, Rigging, Animation, Layout departments.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build strong relationships with technical leadership, developers and non-technical stakeholders.
- Detail oriented, self reliant, self motivated and be able to use constructive feedback to improve one’s coding and design skills.
- Experience with ABC, USD,, is highly regarded
- Xsens Motion Capture Experience
- Motion Builder Experience
If this sounds like you, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Be sure to include “Technical Animator” in the subject line.