SPIN VFX is seeking matte painters to join our award winning creative team. You will create captivating and photorealistic 2.5 and 3D matte paintings of subject matter ranging from fantasy to urban. We look for accomplished artists to work as part of our dynamic team on high-profile episodic and feature work.
- Create photorealistic paintings and elements that match concept using 3D and 2D tools and techniques including camera setup, modeling for projection, camera animation, projection setup, image re-projection, and atmospherics and light passes.
- Provide or acquire photographic reference materials.
- Combine photographic, paint, and 3d assets to conceptualize, create and design environments using techniques such as camera animation, image projection, layering, and lighting.
- Perform tasks related to integrating imagery into shots, preserving a unified sense of lighting, perspective, and color.
- Ability to understand and interpret creative directives.
- Concept work is considered a strong asset.
- Ability to combine painting skills in animation software, with knowledge of photography, practical and digital modeling, and design, to create 2D and 3D paintings.
- Ability to work closely with the VFX Supervisors to ensure that plates meet planned concept design requirements.
- A graduate of fine art or VFX program and digital matte painting and illustration experience ▪ Portfolio / web site of work
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop is essential
- Knowledge of matte-painting techniques including colour space, digital-paint techniques, photography (including composition), depth, lighting and colour
- Keen understanding and application of perspective in the creation of the 2.5D and 3D digital environments.
- Working knowledge of Nuke.
- Understanding of basic principles of 3D texture projections in Maya is considered an asset. ▪ Solid knowledge of lighting, rendering and the compositing process.
- Ability to collaborate effectively and receive artistic and technical direction. ▪ Offers a positive and proactive attitude and willingness to learn and contribute.
If this sounds like you, please submit your cover letter and resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include “Compositing Department Manager” in the subject line.