Lighting, Rendering & Mattepainting Department Manager
** Please note that due to COVID 19, all SPIN staff will be on-boarded remotely and asked to work from home.
As the Lighting, Rendering & Mattepainting Department Manager you will be reporting to the CG Producer. You will be responsible for managing and forecasting artists in the Lighting Department and Mattepainting Department in collaboration with the CG Producer and Head of CG Production, while forecasting studio priorities. Both key tasks will rely upon successful collaboration with Show Producers and Render Wranglers. As well, you will be liaising with CG Department Managers to inherit elements, while maintaining the established schedule and handoff of rendered frames with the Compositing Department Manager to ensure successful project deliveries. Additionally, you will work closely with the CTO and Systems Team to preserve render requirements, and pivot schedules to fit within the identified rendering restrictions. As the Lighting, Rendering & Mattepainting Department Production Manager, your main daily responsibilities will include artist schedules, artist priorities, navigating department hand-offs, organizing daily meetings, supporting render priorities, and liaising guidance from Creative Supervisors. Your standard tasks will include:
- Autonomous scheduling and tasking, prioritizing and tracking deadlines across multiple projects, maintaining creative cohesion in task assignments across multiple projects simultaneously.
- Collaborating closely with Compositing and Layout.
- Reviewing bid and scheduled time for artists during project and floor launches.
- Determining departmental task requirements and identifying necessary material for task completion.
- Organizing dailies, rounds and department meetings, including morning and end-of-day check-in serving multiple projects and preserving a strict daily floor schedule.
- Scheduling online meetings, liaising open discussions via group chats during remote work periods.
- Identifying and communicating artist pressure points, bottlenecks, and timeline adjustments
- Ensuring Shotgun (project management tool) statuses and task assignments are kept tidy
- Ensuring clarity on deadlines, level of completion requirements, and weekly quota
- Ensuring project scope, status and completion information is up to date via Shotgun.
- Monitoring and reporting on progress, issues, and forecasts and preparing corresponding reports
- Participating in daily render meetings alongside Render Wranglers and Show Production to determine daily and overnight requirements.
- Supporting department morale and culture.
- Familiarizing yourself with SPIN Mattepainting process, Comp hand off process, Lighting standards, Katana terminology, and renderers to effectively communicate across departments.
- Developing department initiatives with creative supervisors, and collaborate with pipeline team to ensure initiatives are met.
- Providing daily and weekly reports, and forecast with the Head of CG Production and CG Producer
If this sounds like you, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Lighting, Rendering & Matte Painting Department Manager”.