Effects Department Manager
** Please note that due to COVID 19, all SPIN staff will be on-boarded remotely and asked to work from home.
As the Effects Department Manager you will be reporting to the CG Producer. You will be responsible for managing, scheduling, and forecasting artists within the department in collaboration with the Effects Supervisor, Head of CG Production and the CG Producer. These key tasks will rely upon successful collaboration with Show Producers while liaising with peer CG Department Managers to inherit the required elements maintaining the established schedule and ultimately handing off to CG and Comp Department Managers to ensure successful project deliveries. Furthermore, you will be tasked with establishing and nurturing a close partnership with the Effects Supervisor and other Creative Department Heads to support artist growth while maintaining schedules. Additionally, you will work closely with the Pipeline and Systems Team to identify tool support and pipeline initiatives to support department efficiency. As the Effects Department Production Manager, your main daily responsibilities will include artist schedules, artist priorities, navigating department hand-offs, organizing daily meetings, supporting render priorities, and liaising guidance from Creative Supervisors. Your standard tasks will include:
- Autonomous scheduling and tasking, prioritizing and tracking deadlines across multiple projects, maintaining creative cohesion in task assignments across multiple projects simultaneously.
- Determining departmental task requirements and identifying necessary material for successful task completion.
- Organizing dailies, rounds and department meetings including morning and end-of-day check-in serving multiple projects and preserving a strict daily floor schedule.
- Scheduling online meetings, liaising open discussions via group chats during remote work periods.
- Identifying and communicating artist pressure points, bottlenecks, and timeline adjustments.
- Ensuring Shotgun (project management tool) statuses and task assignments are kept tidy.
- Ensuring clarity on deadlines, level of completion requirements, and weekly quota.
- Ensuring project scope, status and completion information is up to date via Shotgun.
- Familiarizing yourself with the Spin process and technical aspects of the Effects Department focusing on Houdini, Mantra Rendering, caching for lighting, and a future transition to usd.
- Participate in daily render meetings alongside Render Wranglers and Show Production to determine daily and overnight requirements.
- Support department morale and culture.
- Develop department initiatives with creative supervisors, and collaborate with pipeline team to ensure initiatives are met.
- Provide daily/weekly reports, and forecast with the Head of CG Production and CG Producer.
If this sounds like you, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Effects Department Manager”.