As the Compositing Department Manager, you will ensure the smooth daily operation of the Compositing Department. Your standard tasks will include:
- Work closely with department heads to ensure all projects have the teams they need to create the highest quality work on time, on budget and sustainably.
- Determine weekly allocation of compositing resources in partnership with Resource Manager and Producers.
- Responsible for scheduling artists on shows appropriate to their skill level and ability.
- Responsible for managing artists across multiple projects.
- Ensure all compositing artists have a clear understanding of the projects they are assigned to.
- Work in partnership with the Heads of Compositing to address issues, present strategies and establish solutions.
- Involvement in recruitment, performance reviews, artist skills assessment and training strategies.
- Work with the compositing production team to manage assignments and ensure tasks are completed within the scheduled time.
- Attend weekly production meetings and provide progress updates.
- Be the first point of contact for all artists on the compositing team, and routinely check in with artists to build rapport.
- Identify and communicate artist pressure points, bottlenecks, and timeline adjustments.
- Facilitate effective communication regarding compositing resources between all shows.
- Management of QC schedules and assignments.
- Prepare agendas for monthly and weekly departmental meetings, and lead these meetings.
- Knowledge of corporate policies and rules to direct artists in the right direction for different questions or concerns.
- Assist in managing weekly artists’ time logs and overtime requirements.
- Review and accommodate leave requests.
- Assist with the onboarding of new artists to the compositing team.
- Proactive in building a positive culture within the department.
- Proven management experience in film, television, advertising or Visual Effects
- Understanding of the VFX pipeline
- Ability to implement fast, effective solutions to production challenges.
- Experience and interest in leading and training others.
- Ability to manage multiple jobs and responsibilities concurrently.
- Calm and effective communication and leadership skills at all times.
If this sounds like you, please submit your cover letter and resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include “Compositing Department Manager” in the subject line.