As the VFX Editor/Render Wrangler, you will work closely with Producers to manage all incoming media and outgoing deliverables. The VFX Editor/Render Wrangler also has the ability to create a functioning environment where the Visual Effects Supervisor can evaluate any version of any shot in the current sequences, for aesthetic and technical direction. You will also be responsible for monitoring and optimizing the rendering processes on the render farm, to ensure established priorities are met. This is a great entry level position to gain experience in an award winning Visual Effects studio creating content for Film and TV.
Required Hours of Work (Shift Times): 4:00 pm to 12:00 am (EST)
- Maintaining sequence edits and inserting visual effects shots into the timeline
- Incorporating & checking all internal versions of visual effects shots into the current cuts of the VFX/live action sequences
- Managing and documenting the turnover of shots from offline Editorial through to DI delivery including ingesting new media into the VFX pipeline
- Ensuring Shotgun is maintained with current shot counts, frame ranges and any retime or repo instructions
- Ensuring that published shots conform to the current edit and perform Editorial QC checks involving colour, resolution and timing
- Preparing & exporting sequence edits for internal and client approvals
- Operate the screening room system for internal dailies and client reviews
- Performing shot-specific LUT setups to match colour of offline references
- Maintaining organized IO data transfers adhering to security & workflow protocols
- Cutting marketing reels for website deployment
- Ensuring that render jobs are properly prioritized in the queue system so that project goals are met while monitoring the render farm’s health and status on a regular basis;
- Maximizing the render farm’s resources;
- Communicating with the Production and Systems team on outstanding issues, as well as overall render farm performance and efficiency.
- Assist in basic evening Systems support tasks and where required, documenting issues to provide to the Systems team for further escalation.
- Render Wrangler support is typically required after hours and on specific weekends depending on project demands.
Required Experience (Must Have):
- General understanding of Editing
- General knowledge of Editing/VFX terminology
- Attention to detail
- Accuracy and organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Quick learner who is able to adapt to our pipeline
- Ability to problem solve tasks on your own
- Ability to deal with stress and deadlines
- Understanding of the visual effects production process is beneficial.
- Knowledgeable with a Linux / UNIX environments is a major plus.
- Experience with Maya, Katana and Nuke is beneficial
- Knowledge of a production management system such as Shotgrid is a plus;
- Knowledge of a render farm manager, such as Tractor or Qube, is a plus;
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Python is a plus.
If this sounds like you, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include “Render Wrangler/VFX Editor” in the subject line.