The Pipeline Developer – Katana is part of the Pipeline department who will be working on enabling Katana based pipeline systems and workflows across all creative departments. This role is expected to handle production support and also deliver Katana based pipeline development tasks. While Katana is used across various functions at SpinVFX, Pipeline Developer – Katana, will employ appropriate software development methodologies to automate templates, author Katana plugins, scripts and integrate pipeline frameworks in Katana, ultimately accelerating efficiency for the artists. This role relies on close collaboration with Lookdev/Lighting/Rendering and Pipeline Department Supervisors. The Pipeline Developer – Katana will be key to the advancement of the rendering pipeline by working hand in glove with world class talent who are churning award winning blockbusters at SpinVFX.
- Efficiently troubleshoot and automate any Lookdev / Lighting / Rendering toolset and workflow related production challenges in a timely manner.
- Developing and maintaining Katana based workflow tools to meet immediate and long-term, show-directed production demands, ensuring facility-wide consistency as directed by show and technical supervisors.
- Scope technical specifications, design, develop, document (developer and artist facing) Katana related development tasks.
- Writing, testing and validating tools and techniques in production.
- A strong understanding and implementation of UX/UI best practices.
- Maintain and evolve the SpinVFX 3D pipeline tool set composed of Python, Lua (OpScripts) and C++ tools.
- Actively participate in the Pipeline department code review process.
- Continuously integrate pipeline frameworks into Katana.
- Employ excellent communication skills to articulate technical and creative ideas across technical, artist and production teams. Strive to keep Lighting/Rendering and Pipeline Supervisor abreast of all the challenges and progress in a timely manner.
- 3+ years experience as a Pipeline Developer in the Katana software ecosystem.
- Strong understanding of the rendering process and how different types of renderers (path tracers etc) work.
- Good experience in Katana’s graph architecture, automating recipes, macros, supertools etc.
- Good experience with Python, PySide/PyQt/QT, GIT.
- Accomplished experience at delivering Pipeline software integrations with Katana.
- Practical knowledge of TDD and Agile SDLC methodologies.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build strong relationships with technical leadership, developers and non-technical stakeholders.
- Good grasp of Animation/VFX pipeline workflows especially of the Lookdev / Lighting / Rendering departments.
- A Degree in Computer Science or similar subject. Or equivalent industry experience.
- Experience with USD, Pixar Renderman, Katana’s SDK, C++, Lua is highly regarded
- Prior experience with Shotgun API, Tractor API, Linux environment, color management systems like OCIO.
- Basics of common render optimization techniques.
- Basics of compositing process and Nuke software.
If this sounds like you, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . Be sure to include “Pipeline Developer -Katana” in the subject line.