SPIN VFX, Toronto seeks an outstanding Compositing leader for our dynamic award winning VFX team. The composting manager’s role requires a solid background of multiple disciplines, combining technical, creative, managerial and educational duties. This role is responsible for managing the compositing department, ensuring best practices are established and maintained and supporting resource initiatives. This person is effective at implementing and championing continual improvements. The ideal candidate offers a confident and approachable leadership style, Nuke expertise, proactive team management skills and is a natural mentor to his/her colleagues.
The role is a combination of several disciplines and industry experience noted below.
- Extensive experience with Nuke, Compositing and Photo-real VFX.
- Ability to oversee colour pipeline setup on all projects and work with the pipeline supervisor, programmers and editorial to further streamline colour and LUT related tasks.
- Work in partnership with CTO and Dept Supervisors to address issues, present strategies and establish solutions.
- Mobilize the teams to define goals and meet objectives; capitalizing on their strengths.
- Approve and supervise data round-trip tests at the start of all projects
- Collaborate with programmers to implement new comp tools and work-flows
- Establish a consistent and effective QC process
- Work closely with Leads and Supervisors to standardize render processes on a per project basis
- Monitor incoming client notes on all projects to proactively identify potential issues with the composite workflow and liaise with comp team and producers to address requirements.
- Standardize show specific nuke templates for all projects
- Review and submit recommendations on bids as it relates to comp resources, working alongside bidding producer
- Recommend artists for project comp teams and/or shots depending on their skillset
- Review incoming comp resumes and participate in interviews for compositors
- Participate in artist recruitment, interviews, demo reel assessments and performance reviews
- Assist in planning and enforcing department schedules
- Responsible for successful department management and implementing and accomplishing continual improvements.
Representation / Ambassador
- Attend, when applicable, college information nights to speak to College administrators and junior artists about compositing / VFX processes at SPIN
- Serve as mentor for compositors by offering tips and approaches
- Implement a best practices “checklist” for compositors
- Run monthly comp lunch and learn sessions to review and enforce best practices in compositing
- Mentor senior compositors to move into project comp lead and supervisor positions
- Champion a positive team environment
- 5-8 years of related production experience with at least 5 years of Compositing leadership experience for feature film VFX
- Extensive experience with VFX / photoreal compositing, tracking, grading, roto work, prep, cleanup, standards, technical and software expertise, image formats, film and photographic principles
- High-level expertise with Nuke and full VFX pipeline
- Proven ability and track record to motivate and manage VFX creative teams and compositors.
- Proactive work ethic
- Ability to implement fast, effective solutions to shot production challenges
- Experience in leading and training others
- Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple jobs and responsibilities concurrently.
- Calm and effective communication and leadership skills at all times.
- Development experience is considered an asset
To Apply for this position
Interested candidates should:
- Submit a cover letter and resume with a link to your online website to: email@example.com
- Include position applying for in subject of email
- Include references
- Clearly include your name, address, telephone and email address
- Indicate if you are eligible to work for any employer in Canada
- Preference is given to qualified Canadians citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
- Only those selected for an interview will be contacted
- No phone calls or drop-ins please
SPINVFX is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodations in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please advise Creative Resources if you require an accommodation.